Hall of Honor
Maurice A. Rothman
Born in New York City in 1917, Maurice Rothman knew from a very early age that his future was to be in the retail business. In fact, his first store was a pawn shop in New York that his grandfather first opened in 1883. Following World War II, Maurice, his new bride Thelma and her cousin, Edward Kalin, had a dream of opening a chain of furniture stores in the South.
They settled in St. Petersburg and purchased a furniture store at 733 Central Avenue that was closing its doors, and Kane’s Furniture was born. They kept the costs of remodeling low by doing most of the work themselves. Business was good and soon they had expanded to a converted hotel in downtown St. Petersburg and had purchased their first warehouse on 9th Street North. Soon after, they expanded to larger facilities in St. Petersburg and continued to grow their family business to one of the largest retail furniture companies in the Southeast.
Dedicated to the community, Maurice and Thelma Rothman supported a wide variety of causes dear to their hearts including St. Petersburg College, Temple Beth-El, the American Red Cross, Bayfront Medical Center, Eckerd College, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Pinellas Education Foundation.